Thursday, February 25, 2021

February Favorites 2021

 


These were my favorite books and movies for the month of February. Usually I include beauty favorites, but I didn't use anything new. I just "shopped my stash", which is when you use the makeup you already have. 


1. Emma by Jane Austen: This is the third Jane Austen book I have read. I liked it better than Northanger Abbey, but I didn't think it was as good as Pride and Prejudice. Emma was written in 1815. It is about a young woman who is beautiful and rich living in a small town in England. She has been spoiled all her life, and most everyone loves her. She is not a perfect character, but I like her in spite of her flaws. Jane Austen is brilliant at writing characters. You feel like you have gone back to this time period and really have met these people when you read this book. I have been reading Jane Austen books because Darling Desi has a book club on Youtube called "Affectionately Austen Book Club." She and a group of other booktubers discuss the book. For Aug-Sep 2020 they read Pride and Prejudice. For Oct-Nov they read Northanger Abbey. For Dec-Jan they read Emma. The next book they are reading and discussing is Persuasion. As I was reading I read a summary and analysis which I found here: https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/emma/. I also watched a made for tv movie of Emma that you can watch on Youtube. It has Kate Beckinsale in it.


This is the Darling Desi video discussion: 




2. My second favorite of the month is The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. It is the the first book in a trilogy called The Lord of the Rings. This is another great classic book! I have read it before. These are some of my favorite books. It has a great story and characters. I like the values the books have, like the value of friendship, loyalty, love, honor, etc. And the fight against good vs. evil. I studied this book just like I did with Emma by going to the Spark Notes website. I also watched the movie as I read. I think the movie is a good adaptation of the book. It isn't exactly like the book, the movie is more fast paced. 

I hope you are all doing well. I am looking forward to Spring.











2 comments:

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I love to get comments!