Saturday, January 25, 2014

Stila In the Garden Palette Looks




I got this palette for my birthday in September! I am just now starting to play with it. I have already done a post on Stila In the Light palette. That palette is so beautiful. I reach for it whenever I don't know what look to do. I know I can count on beautiful shades that inspire me. I have a feeling my In the Garden palette will be the same.

I like this palette because it came with a look book. It has six looks in it. I also found looks on Youtube that I like, so I will include those as well.

If you want to see swatches of these eyeshadows this is a good blog post: http://www.scrangie.com/2012/02/stila-in-garden-eye-shadow-palette.html

These are the products I used for just about each look.

Eyeshadow Primer: Milani Eyeshadow Primer
Mascara: Benefit Bad Gal Lash (top lashes), Maybelline Lash Discovery Mini-Brush Waterproof in Very Black (bottom lashes)
Face Primer: Benefit Porefessional Primer
Foundation: Revlon Colorstay Foundation for Normal/Dry Skin in Ivory
Powder: Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder in Translucent, Elf High Definition Powder in Corrective Yellow
Concealer: Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer in Brightener
Black Liquid Liner: Jordana Incolor Fabuliner Liquid Eye Liner in Black

These are the looks that came with the palette. I will say what the looks are, what I added, and then my overall opinion.

1. Captivating Eye
a. Apply Chinois to lid and blend to brow bone.
b. Apply Honey to lid and crease.
c. Apply Moss to lash line and diffuse. I used a pencil brush and smudged it to my top lashes.
d. Apply Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Starfish to upper lash line and outside corner of bottom lash line. This eye liner came with the palette.
I consider this a warm eye because of the gold, so I use cool tones for the cheeks and lips.
e. Blush: Physicians Formula Happy Booster Blush in Pink
f. Lips: NYX Lip Gloss in Beige (This is really a pink, not a beige color.)
My Thoughts: I think this is a beautiful look. Chinois is a matte creamy white that blended into my skin tone. It made a good base. Honey is a gold color on the lid. It has good pigmentation. Moss is a dark olive green with shimmer. It looked good going over the gold. Stila Eye Liner in Starfish is a rich black with green and gold sparkle. This is an easy look to do.

2. Garden Soiree
a. Apply Nectar to crease and blend upwards.
b. Apply Sage to lid and blend into crease.
c. Apply Moss to lid.
d. Wet brush and apply Juniper to upper and lower lash lines. You could use water, MAC Fix Plus, Elf Setting Spray, or and Urban Decay Setting Spray. I used Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray.
My Thoughts: This is a green eye look. I think it looks good with my coloring. I think green looks good with hazel eyes and red hair. Since green is a cool color, I chose to wear a peach blush and lip gloss. For blush I chose my favorite: Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso. For lip gloss I chose another of my favorites: Buxom Lip Gloss in Creamsicle. It turned out to be a really pretty look.

3. Simply Romantic
a. Apply Chinois from lash line to brow bone.
b. Apply Breeze all over lid and blend upwards.
c. Apply Bark to crease and blend to contour.
d. Apply a thin layer of Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Starfish to upper lash line. (The liner comes with the palette.)
My Thoughts: This looks like a light green, day time look. There is nothing on the lower lash line. Since the eyes are cool toned, I wore a warm toned blush and lipstick. For blush I wore Physicians Formula Happy Booster Blush in Warm. For the lips I wore Rimmel Show Off Lip Lacquer in Luna. I think it does look romantic.

4. Enchanted Eye
a. Apply Chinois to brow bone.
b. Apply Breeze to crease and blend.
c. Apply Rosette to lash line, lid and blend.
d. Apply Freesia to lash line and contour towards crease.
My Thoughts: This look is dark pink and purple. Again, there is nothing on the lower lash line, so it makes it seem like a day time look to me. The eyes are cool toned, so I wore a warm toned blush and lipstick. For blush again I wore Physicians Formula Happy Booster Blush in Warm. It's one of my favorite blushes. For the lips I wore Jordana Twist & Shine Moisturizing Balm Stain in Candied Coral. This is really bright. I wasn't sure I would like pink on the eye, but the blue/purple color helps make it more wearable to me.

5. Shimmer & Glow
a. Apply Nectar from lash line to brow bone.
b. Apply Honey from lash line to lid, blending up into the crease.
c. Gently apply Breeze to the center of the lid.
d. Apply Moss to the lash line and blend out.
My Thoughts: This is a golden eye look, with dark green on the lash line. I wore a pink blush and lip color with this. I wore Physicians Formula Happy Booster Blush in Pink. For the lips I wore L'Oreal Colour Riche Extraordinary Lip Color in Rose Melody. This is a hybrid between a lip gloss and lipstick. It feels really good on the lips. It's a pretty color too.

6. Eye Catching
a. Apply Nectar from crease to brow bone.
b. Apply Breeze from lash line to lid and blend.
c. Apply Bark to crease and outer corner of eye.
d. Wet liner brush and apply Freesia to lash line, carefully extending the line past up the eye.
My Thoughts: This is the only look in the look book I didn't like very much. It's not terrible. I don't like the blue liner color. I don't think it goes with the other shadows on the lid. I think there were cool colors on the eye, so I wore Physicians Formula Happy Booster Blush in Warm on the cheeks. I didn't do warm on the lips because I wasn't thinking. I just like the lips I wore the other day, L'Oreal Colour Riche Extraordinary Lip Color in Rose Melody. This look is just ok to me.

These are the looks I found on Youtube that I liked.

7. Look & Review Stila In the Garden Palette by macshadowcombos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TKBfYVYScw
a. Eye Primer
b. Juniper, inner and outer 1/3 of lid
c. Juniper, lower lash line, outer 1/3 and inner 1/3
d. Sage, middle 1/3 of lid, blending it into Juniper, wipe brush and blend colors together
e. Sage, lower lash line, middle 1/3
f. Bark, crease
g. edges where Juniper and Bark meet are blended together, use Bark on a pencil brush a little bit, and go in between the colors
h. Nectar, under brow, blend out edges
i. MAC Lipstick in Speed Dial: Revlon Pink in the Afternoon
j. Tarte Exposed Blush: Rimmel London Lasting Finish Mauve Cool
k. Black Liquid Liner, top lash line
My Thoughts: The eyes are green, the lips are a warm pink and the cheeks are natural.

8. Tutorial: In the Garden *Green and Gold Makeup* by xxmakeupiscoolxx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTJQOihoc8
a. Eye Primer
b. Revlon Illuminance Cream Shadows in Skinlights, 2nd color, eyelid: Maybelline Color Tattoo in Barely Beige
c. Stila In the Garden Palette, Sage, eyelid
d. Honey, crease
e. Juniper, outer v
f. Chinois, browbone and tearduct
g. Eye Liner, upper lash line: Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Starfish
h. Mascara
i. Face Primer
j. BB Cream/Foundation
k. Concealer
l. Powder
My Thoughts: She didn't say what blush or lipstick she was wearing, so I decided to wear a warm toned blush and lip gloss. The blush is Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso. The lip gloss is Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Gloss in Peach Pango. The eyes are green with gold in the crease. It is a very simple look to do. The gold and green look good together.

9. Moonlit Garden Makeup Tutorial by xoMakeupBySarahxo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lfH-l_ecM8
a. Eye Primer
b. Revlon Illuminance Cream Eye Shadows in Moonlit Jewels, champagne color at far right, eyelid
c. Same Palette, brown color by champagne, crease, outer corner of lid, blend it in
d. Stila in the Garden Palette, Breeze, inner 1/3 of lid, tear duct
e. Honey, center 1/3 of lid
f. Moonlit Jewels Palette, green color, outer 1/3 of lid
g. Stila Sage, outer 1/3 of lid
h. Fluffy brush and blend everything together
i. Moss, crease
j. Juniper, outer corner
k. Rosette, above Moss
l. Nectar, under brow
m. Moonlit Jewels, blue color, lower lash line, not the inner part
n. Same Palette, champagne, inner lower lash line
o. Stila Freesia, over blue on lower lash line
p. Honey, over champagne on lower lash line
q. Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Starfish, top lash line, tightline, waterline
r. Smudge liner on top line
s. Black Liquid Liner, start in the middle of the top lash line, and wing it out
t. Chinois, tearduct
u. Honey, tearduct
v. Chinois, under brow
w. Mascara
x. Concealer
y. Powder
z. Revlon Eye and Cheek Tint in Bronze, use as a blush: I skipped this step.
a. Hard Candy Fox in a Box Blush in Spicy & Sweet
b. Hard Candy Eye Shadow Duo in Peace, champagne color as highlight on top of cheekbones: Benefit Watt's Up!
c. Jordana Lip Liner in Tawny
d. Revlon Lip Butter in Creme Brûlée
e. NYX Mega Shine Lip Gloss in Baby Rose: I skipped this step because Creme Brulee is glossy on its own.
My Thoughts: At first I felt like I wasn't doing it right because I wasn't watching the video while I did the look. I felt like there were too many colors on the eye. I felt like a clown. Then I went in and made some fixes. Make sure the lower lash line is thin. I used makeup remover and a q-tip to thin the line. It doesn't look good with a thick line of blue under half the eye. Blend out the honey in the tear duct. This was my first time using Hard Candy Fox in a Box Spicy & Sweet. It is very pigmented, so wipe off your brush. It is very beautiful. I would say it's a bright pinky peach color. The eyes are very colorful, and the lips are nude. When I was done with the makeup I liked it. It's a different look for me, so at first I didn't know what to think. You have to have enough time to put it on. There are a lot of steps, but it wasn't hard. It just takes a while.

Overall, I love this palette! The thing I didn't like was the eye liner that comes with it. I might have gotten a bad one because it doesn't twist up! I only used it a few times, but I'm going to have to throw it away because it's a flat top now, and can't be used. I really liked the color of it. I hope the eyeliners in the other palettes aren't that way. I wish it was able to sharpen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I love to get comments!