Sunday, September 4, 2011

Look of the Day: Complementary Colors


I've seen a lot of people post these as well, so I decided to give it a go. Today I'm getting ready for church. I'm just dressing casually. I'm wearing my new brown top. It has sort of a square neck line, and fake clear jewels along the top. It has peasant style sleeves and a drawstring at the bottom to pull it tight. I have autumn coloring, so brown is one of the colors that looks good on me. Then I'm just wearing jeans and probably my blue Keds.

For my hair, I'm just wearing it up in a ponytail. Today is supposed to get really hot.


Now for my favorite part: the makeup. I have been doing this new thing lately where for whatever color top I'm wearing, I wear the complementary color on my eyes. I found this at Makeupgeek's website. I’ll find you the link.  http://www.makeupgeek.com/tutorials/q-a-with-makeup-geek-your-burning-questions-answered/     Someone asked her if she should match her eyeshadow to her clothes and she said no. Actually, it looks nice when you wear the opposite color.  

I already have heard that makeup artists largely say the same thing about how to complement your eye color. You wear the complementary color (opposite) of your eye color. So I applied this to my clothes. This has been really fun, so instead of only wearing colors that suit my hazel eyes, I'm wearing colors depending on my clothes. My clothes already complement my warm coloring.

So since I'm wearing a brown top, it is as though I have brown eyes and I need to wear colors to complement the brown. According to my research (i.e. obsessively going around the internet trying to figure out what colors complement brown eyes), I've found out that one color that looks good on brown eyes is green. So my makeup look today is a mainly green eyed look. If you look on the color wheel the opposite of green is red and brown has a lot of red in it, which is why green is considered a good opposite of brown.

Another thing I found out about my own color of eyes (hazel) is that there are a lot of colors that go good with my color. The only color I should avoid apparently is blue, which washes the hazel out. I think wearing navy is ok though.

I found a beautiful makeup artist on youtube that has a makeup look for each eye color. Here is her link to brown eyes:  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N15d67SA-RY&feature=channel_video_title       

I took notes on her look so I could copy it using my own colors.

Eye Color Series: Makeup for Brown Eyes by carahamelie03
1. Mac Bare Study paint pot inner corner
2. Palladio Olive Crayon outer half of lid, blend with finger
3. Nyx creamy, soft beige inner half of eye over Bare Study
4. Nyx Herb, dark green base, blend into creamy color (this is an olive color)
5. Palladio Olive Crayon on lower lash line
6. Nyx Herb over top
7. Nyx Aloha inner corner highlight (this is a shimmery, light pink-brown)
8. Nyx Beauty Queen, fluffy crease brush in the crease (this is a plumy purple color)
9. Azure by Stila using a small pencil brush to darken the crease dimension in eye, not over powering but blend it out (this is a medium blue color)
10. vanilla matte white highlight
11. Mac Smolder eyeliner in waterline
12. Winged Mac Black Track Fluid Line on upper lash line
13. Mascara
14. Bronzer to bring color to face, contour, neck under the chin
15. Mauve cool toned blush because eyes are cool toned on the apples, blend back
16. Rimmel Vintage Pink, cool toned matte lipstick, dabbing on lips
17. Prestige soft peach lip gloss

My Thoughts: I'm going to copy this look, but not exactly. The only products I have the same as her is the Palladio crayon and the Prestige lip gloss. I'm going to skip the black in the waterline because I don't think that looks good on me. I also think it's a little too much for daytime at church. I don't want to look like I have tons of makeup on. Instead of black liner, I may use brown instead. Brown looks more natural on me. 






Also, I have a new obsession when it comes to wearing blush and lipstick. This is from the makeupgeek as well. Here is the video that inspired it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOhfYM2p99E 




It shows how to match your lipstick to your eye shadow. So according to her you want to wear cool toned blush and lipstick if you are wearing warm eye shadow and warm cheeks and lips if you are wearing cool toned eye shadow. So, since this look calls for cool eye shadow, I'm going to wear a peachy blush and peach lip gloss. She used the lip gloss that I will wear, but I won't copy the mauve blush.






When I start applying the makeup, especially when it gets into putting on the purple and blue shades I may skip it because I don't want too much makeup on. Today is supposed to be 91 degrees!!! That would be silly if I wear a smoky eye, also I don't think it's appropriate for church. I know that's probably silly considering I'm wearing casual clothes to church, since a lot of people would consider that inappropriate. I guess it would look weird if I had on a lot of makeup with such casual clothes too.

This is the makeup look that I actually did wear:

1. Revlon Not Just Nudes, 1st color inner half of lid
2. Palladio Shadow & Liner Herbal Crayon in Olive, outer half of lid blended with finger
3. Wet ‘n Wild Color Icon Palette in Vanity, 1st color, put over inner half cream
4. Maybelline Enchanted Forest, green color, put over outer half olive color
5. Palladio lower lash line
6. Maybelline green color lower lash line
7. Wet ‘n Wild The Gilded Age trio, browbone color as an inner corner highlight
8. Wet ‘n Wild 8-Pan Palette in Petal Pusher, 3rd shade in crease using a fluffy crease brush
9. e.l.f. 32 Eyeshadow Palette, 3rd row, last color, using a small pencil brush to darken crease dimension in eye, not over powering, blend it out
10. Wet ‘n Wild 8-Pan Palette in Petal Pusher, 1st color under brow as a highlight
11. Physician’s Formula Shimmer Strips Gel Liner for Glam Hazel Eyes in black (no wing)
12. L’Oreal Voluminous Waterproof Mascara in Black Brown
13. NYC Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder in Sunny to bring color to my face, contour, neck under chin
14. Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso
15. Prestige Skin Loving Minerals Lasting Moisture Lip Gloss in Soft Peach

My Thoughts: This is so pretty! You should try it! Even though I don’t have brown eyes, I felt like it made my hazel eyes pop. I didn’t use a lipstick because I felt like my eyes were all ready pretty dramatic, and I wanted to go light on the lips. I decided the black liner on top wasn’t too bad to do, and I did the purple and blue because I was curious to see how it would look. Hopefully this isn’t too much for a daytime look. I put Too Faced Shadow Insurance so let’s see how well it holds up.

What is your face of the day? Do you over think things like I do? What do you think about the complementary colors idea? Please, feel free to leave me a comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I love to get comments!