Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Too Faced A Few of My Favorite Things Palette Dupes!

                                                             (Source: Sephora's Website)

I don't remember when I first heard about this palette. It was probably from a blog. I was so enchanted! This is one of my all time favorite songs. It is from "The Sound of Music." This palette derives it's names from the song lyrics. If you have never seen this movie (and you should!) here is a clip of the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3aBB-J9vhg.

I had problems duping this palette. The palette comes with a look book (which I love) and I copied each look with my dupes, but each time I wasn't happy with how they turned out. I didn't want to make a blog post if the looks were no good. But I was so disappointed because I thought this palette was really cool. I think it just goes to show the saying, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!" Sorry if I'm being too corny. Today I decided to redo my dupes and look at other blogs. The blog that helped me the most was Temptalia's. She duped this palette already. Some of her dupes were from makeup I had or makeup that I had dupes of! So this was really handy to me. I also love her descriptions. So if you have duped something and it doesn't turn out well, maybe look for another blog review with different descriptions and it will help you get better dupe results.

This is a link to Temptalia's review, dupes, photos, and swatches. They are two different parts. Part 1: http://www.temptalia.com/faced-favorite-things-palette-review-photos-swatches-part-1
Part 2: http://www.temptalia.com/faced-favorite-things-palette-review-photos-swatches-part-2

I also had help from this blog: http://www.vampyvarnish.com/2013/10/faced-favorite-things-holiday-2013

I didn't find dupes for all the eyeshadows in the palette. Just the ones I wanted to find.

1. Whiskers on Kittens: Wet 'n Wild Newport Night, upper right color
2. Moon on Their Wings: Maybelline Enchanted Forest, upper right color
3. Chocolate Milk: Wet 'n Wild Nude Awakenings, 3rd color
4. Dark Chocolate: Maybelline Eye Studio Quad in Fall Temptation, 4th color
5. Cream Colored Ponies: Almay Trio for Hazels, cream shade
6. Evergreen: Wet 'n Wild Envy
7. Buche de Noel: Urban Decay Mariposa Palette in Wreckage
8. Blue Satin Sashes: Wet 'n Wild Pride, 3rd shade
9. Coquet: Elf Baked Eye Shadow in Pixie
10. Taffy: Wet 'n Wild Sweet as Candy, pink color
11. Woolen Mittens: The Balm Meet Matt(e) Nude in Matt Abdul
12. Soiree: Maybelline Eye Studio Mad for Mauve, 4th color
13. Tinsel: L'Oreal Hip Dynamic, left side
14. Snowflakes: Urban Decay Ammo Palette in Polyester Bride
15. Honey Honey: Urban Decay Ammo Palette in Chopper
16. Melt Into Spring Blush: The Balm Frat Boy
17. Raindrops on Roses Blush: Hard Candy Baked Blush in Living Doll
18. Chocolate Soleil Bronzer: NYC Bronzer in Sunny
19. Sun Bunny Bronzer: NYC Sun 'n Bronze in Fire Island Tan
20. Bee Sting Lip Product: Buxom Full-On Lip Cream in Creamsicle

These are the looks from the look book. If I find other looks I like I'll add them to this post later. I have a feeling people will be creating looks with this palette.

1. Weekday
a. Base: Whiskers on Kittens, I think the base is from the lashes to the eyebrow. Temptalia's dupe is Wet 'n Wild Newport Night, upper right color. The description is "pale peach with a hint of pink and gold sparkle." The dupe is a matte color though, but I think that is good for a base not to be sparkly.
b. Lid: Moon on Their Wings. Temptalia's dupe is MAC Retrospeck, and the dupe I have for that which unfortunately I'm not sure where I found this from is Maybelline Enchanted Forest, the upper right shade. When I first started keeping a list of dupes I didn't keep track of my sources. The description is "warm, golden beige with a frosted, metallic finish and gold micro-glitter."
c. Crease: Chocolate Milk. Temptalia's description is "medium brown with warm, orange undertones and a matte finish." My dupe is Wet 'n Wild Nude Awakenings, 3rd color.
d. Line: Dark Chocolate. I think this means to line the upper and lower lashes. Vampy Varnish's description is "dark brown matte." My dupe is Maybelline Eye Studio Quad in Fall Temptation, 4th color.
e. Mascara: Too Faced Better Than Sex. It comes with the palette. I just use the mascaras I have been using: Benefit They're Real! (top lashes) and Maybelline Lash Discovery Mini-Brush Waterproof in Very Black (bottom lashes).
f. Bronzer: Too Faced Chocolate Soleil. It comes with the palette. I guess it even smells like chocolate! Vampy Varnish describes it as a "light matte bronze." Somewhere I heard the dupe for this was NYC's Bronzer in Sunny. I put it on the hollows of my cheeks, temples, hairline, and under the jaw.
g. Blush: Too Faced Melt Into Spring. It comes with the palette. "Silver white winters that melt into Spring." I just remembered these lyrics when I was listening to the song again. Vampy Varnish describes this as a "bright peach matte." My dupe is The Balm Frat Boy. This is one of my favorite blushes.
h. Lip Injection Color: Bee Sting. It comes with the palette. I forgot what this had to do with the song. "When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad. I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad." Vampy Varnish describes this as a "pale pink/peach, shiny." My dupe is Buxom Full-On Lip Cream in Creamsicle.
My Thoughts: The eye look is really pretty and classic. The blush is a pretty peachy pink color. The lip gloss is like Bee Sting because it makes your lips plump up. The Creamsicle lip gloss smells like vanilla, and it doesn't sting, it gives a minty feeling on the lips. This look is really beautiful.

For the rest of my face I used:
Concealer: Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer in Radiant (under eyes)
Eye Shadow Primer: Milani Eyeshadow Primer
Face Primer: Pixi Flawless & Poreless Face Primer in Translucent
Foundation: Revlon Colorstay Foundation for Normal/Dry Skin in Ivory
Powder: Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder in Translucent

2. Weekend
a. Base: Cream Colored Ponies. Temptalia's dupe is Bobbi Brown Bone. Somewhere I found out MAC Blanc Type is a dupe for Bone, and somewhere I found out Almay Trio for Hazels, cream shade is a dupe for Blanc Type. The description is, "pale, cool-toned ivory with a matte finish." My dupe is more of a satin finish, but it is close enough of a matte for me.
b. Lid: Evergreen. Temptalia's dupe is MAC Humid. Somewhere I heard a dupe for that is Wet 'n Wild Envy. The description is, "medium-dark forest green with cool undertones and a pearly finish."
c. Crease: Buche de Noel. The description is, "medium dark brown with a golden, frosted sheen." I found a good dupe for this is in Urban Decay's Mariposa Palette, Wreckage.
d. Line: Blue Satin Sashes. Temptalia's dupe is MAC Prussian. Somewhere I heard Wet 'n Wild Pride, 3rd color is a dupe for Prussian. The description is, "deep, dark blue-teal with a matte finish and subtle gold sparkle. My dupe has no golden sparkle, but it still looks good.
e. Mascara: Better Than Sex
f. Bronzer: Too Faced Sun Bunny. This comes in the palette. It has 2 shades. Vampy Varnish's description is "medium golden bronze metallic and a pale golden bronze with a slight sheen." I heard if you swirl all the colors together a good dupe is NYC Sun 'n Bronze in Fire Island Tan.
g. Blush: Melt Into Spring
h. Lip Injection Color: Bee Sting
My Thoughts: I wasn't sure about the blue on me, but it looks pretty next to the green. The Wreckage color is beautiful. I love my Urban Decay books. It makes me want to get more Urban Decay makeup, maybe for Christmas. I already said I love the blush and lip gloss. The eyes are green, brown, and blue, but it looks good. It sounds like a weird combination, but I like it.

For the rest of my face I used the same as the first look, plus:
Concealer (blemishes): Boots No.7 Stay Perfect Blemish Cover in Extra Fair

3. Pretty Playful
a. Base: Coquet, pale, light-medium pink with a golden, frosted finish and warm, yellow undertones. I used Elf Baked Eye Shadow in Pixie.
b. Lid: Taffy, light-medium, warm-toned pink with a slightly metallic sheen. I used Wet 'n Wild Sweet As Candy, pink color.
c. Crease: Woolen Mittens, medium taupe matte. I used The Balm Meet Matt(e) Nude in Matt Abdul.
d. Line: Soiree, burgundy matte with pink sparkles. I used Maybelline Eye Studio in Mad for Mauve, 4th color.
e. Mascara: Better Than Sex
f. Bronzer: Chocolate Soleil
g. Blush: Raindrops on Roses, candy-colored pink with fine golden sparkles. I used Hard Candy Baked Blush in Living Doll.
h. Lip Injection Color: Bee Sting
My Thoughts: Pixie is not very pigmented, but that is ok because I just wanted a wash on my entire eye space. If you want to have more pigment you can get it wet. I'm not sure about pink on the lid. I heard that it is a good color if you have hazel eyes. I think it does bring out the color in my eyes, but I also think it looks like my eyes are sore. It doesn't look so bad once the liner and mascara is on. I'm loving the Hard Candy blush. It took me awhile to get my hands on it because my Walmart was always sold out of it. It's the same lip gloss, and I love it. So the eye look is pink on the lid, taupe in the crease, and mauve as a liner. At first I didn't know if I liked it, but now that the look is complete I think it looks really pretty and feminine.

For the rest of my face I used the same as the first look, except:
Foundation: L'Oreal Visible Lift Foundation in Soft Ivory (My skin is getting drier, and I needed a more moisturizing foundation.)

Here are some more looks I found using this palette.

Victoria's Secret Fashion Show Lily Aldridge Inspired Makeup by rachelectric http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmSO6iZoR54
a. Face Primer
b. Foundation
c. Concealer
d. Maybelline Dream Lumi Concealer in Radiant, under eyes, nose, above nose on forehead, cupid's bow, chin
e. Powder
f. Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light, under eyes, all the places where she highlighted: I used a cream product, Benefit's Watt's Up!
g. Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer, hollows of cheeks, a little bit higher onto cheeks, temples, hairline, sides of nose: NYC Sunny
h. Benefit Dallas Blush: Covergirl Cheekers Blush in Soft Sable
i. Lorac Spotlight, top of cheekbones, nose, cupid's bow: Hard Candy Tiki
j. Jordana Eye Shadow Pencil in Continuous Almond, lashes to brow: Milani Shadow Eyez in Almond Cream
k. Too Faced A Few of My Favorite Things Palette, Honey Honey and Snowflakes, eyelid: Snowflakes is a pale white gold with a frosted, metallic finish. Temptalia's dupe is Urban Decay's Polyester Bride. I have that in Urban Decay's Ammo Palette. Honey, Honey is a warm, golden copper with a frosted, metallic finish. Temptalia's dupe is Urban Decay's Chopper. That is also in Urban Decay's Ammo Palette.
l. Same Palette, Dark Chocolate, outer corner of eyelid and crease: Maybelline Eye Studio Quad in Fall Temptation, 4th color
m. Same Palette, Milk Chocolate, crease: Wet 'n Wild Nude Awakenings, 3rd color
n. Same Palette, Dark Chocolate, outer corner, outer crease, deepen it out more
o. Clean blending brush and blend out everything.
p. Dark brown eye liner, upper lash line, lower lash line, use a q-tip to blend it all out: L'Oreal Colour Riche Eyeliner in Black/Brown. It comes with a smudger on the end, so I used that instead of a q-tip.
q. Nude liner waterline: Rimmel Scandal Eyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in Nude
r. Mascara
s. Too Faced Bee Sting: Buxom Full-on Lip Cream in Creamsicle
t. Nude Lip Liner: Boots No.7 Line and Define Lip Liner in Nude
u. MAC Lipstick in Blankety: Wet 'n Wild Perfect Pout Lip Color in Fergie Daily
v. MAC Lipstick in Myth: Elf Mineral Lipstick in Natural Nymph
My Thoughts: I'm writing this as I'm not done with the look yet, but I can already tell the face looks so glowy and pretty. I love the combo of Chopper and Polyester Bride on the lid. The step where you take the Dark Chocolate color and put it at an angle on your eyes was difficult for me because my eyes aren't like her's. I tried to do it with a pencil brush, but my eye shadow didn't come out even. It's ok because when I got the lighter brown I blended everything out. With the liner I did ok on the upper lash line, but the bottom lash line when I smudged it out the line got really thick, so I'm going back and removing it with eye makeup remover. With this look you may want to do the eyes before the face because I got a lot of fall out from the Urban Decay eye shadows. The eyes look really pretty. They are different shades of brown, copper, and the white just blends in to the copper to make it lighter. The lips are nude. The look is focused on the eyes and glowing skin. I like it.

For the rest of my face I used as mentioned above, except:
Mascara (top lashes): L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes Waterproof in Blackest Brown
Eyebrows: Wet 'n Wild Vanity, 2nd color (is a dupe for MAC's Wedge)

Get Ready With Me Holiday Party Inspired by rachelectric http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxTycIxYvs8
a. Face Primer
b. Foundation
c. Concealer
d. Cream bronzer, hollows of cheeks, temples, hair line, sides of nose, jaw line: Elf Contouring Blush and Bronzer Cream in St. Lucia
e. Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light, under eyes, above nose on forehead, nose, cupid's bow, middle of chin: Benefit's Watt's Up! (cream not a powder)
f. Too Faced Sun Bunny, hollows of cheeks, hairline, sides of nose, jawline: NYC Sun 'n Bronze in Fire Island Tan
g. Too Faced Blush in Melt Into Spring: The Balm Frat Boy
h. Powder
i. Jordana Eyeshadow Pencil in Endless Emerald, eyelid, blend into crease: Milani Shadow Eyez in Green Safari
j. Too Faced A Few of My Favorite Things Palette, Evergreen, eyelid: Wet 'n Wild Envy
k. Same Palette, Woolen Mittens, crease: The Balm Meet Matt(e) Nude in Matt Abdul
l. Same Palette, Chocolate Milk, crease: Wet 'n Wild Nude Awakenings, 3rd color
m. Same Palette, Tinsel, MAC Fix Plus spray on brush, middle of eyelid, gold metallic, dirty, medium gold with a frosted metallic finish: L'Oreal Hip Dynamic, left side
n. Same Palette, Cream Colored Ponies, under brow: Almay Trio for Hazels, cream shade
o. Blend out crease.
p. Black Eye Liner, upper lash line, tight line, waterline: I used Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Zero
q. Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner in Stash, lower lash line: PixiGlow Straight on til Morning Liner 2nd Star Twinkle
r. Same Palette, Buche De Noel, on a q-tip, lower lash line: Urban Decay Mariposa in Wreckage
s. Same Palette, Tinsel, inner corner
t. Mascara: Covergirl Lash Perfection Mascara in Very Black (top lashes)
u. Too Faced Lip Injection Color Bomb in Bee Sting: Buxom Full-On Lip Cream in Creamsicle
v. Rimmel Stay Glossy Lip Gloss: I skipped this because I'm using a gloss.
My Thoughts: The eyes look like a smokey green, brown, taupe, and gold eye. It reminds me of a Christmas tree. I like it. The cheeks and lips are the same.

For the rest of my face I used the same as above, except:
Eyebrows: Milani Brow Fix in 01 Light

I hope you like these looks and find the dupes helpful! You may not need to get the palette if you have the same color eyeshadows, blushes, and bronzers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I love to get comments!