This is my second year of posting my yearly favorites. I've been keeping track all year of the products I used for my favorite looks. I will be comparing this year to last year because I want to see if some products have been favorites for 2 years in a row. I like how the pictures are all different because they were taken at different times in the year. It visually represents a whole year with each season, I think.
Favorite Youtuber of the Year
AllThatGlitters21 or Elle Fowler (she changed her username) http://www.youtube.com/user/AllThatGlitters21 The highest number of "pretty looks" I did were by her. She isn't really a makeup artist, but I think she has great style, great personality, and I like her makeup looks.
Pixi Flawless & Poreless Face Primer in Translucent: I used this the most out of all my primers this year. I first saw it on someone's blog talking about her monthly favorites. I wanted to try a new primer, so I got this from Target. Pixi is on the expensive side, but it works really well.
Milani Eyeshadow Primer: This works really well. It keeps my eyeshadow lasting all day and it makes the colors vibrant. I found this at Fred Meyers. It is inexpensive, so I was surprised that it worked just as good as the expensive eye shadow primers.
Revlon Color Stay Foundation for Normal/Dry Skin in Ivory: I had a hard time this year finding a foundation that worked well with my skin. I think I have combination skin, but when I used foundation for oily skin, it was too drying and my skin would peal off! I thought foundation for dry skin would be too dewy for my skin. I don't want it to look oily. This foundation has worked out the best. It has full coverage, it is not drying, but it doesn't make me look oily. And it is from the drugstore! You can find this at just about any drugstore.
Concealer for Under Eyes
Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer in Radiant: This is a peach/salmon color, that cancels out any darkness under my eyes and brightens everything up. You can also use this as a highlighter under brows, down the nose, cupid's bow, etc. Last year my favorite concealer for under the eyes was Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer in Ivory. I still use that and I like it, but I reached for the Radiant one more this year.
Concealer for Blemishes
Boots No.7 Stay Perfect Blemish Cover in Extra Fair: I heard about this from TheDailyCupcake's Youtube videos. She loves this concealer. I was curious to try it out. It's not too creamy, and it doesn't make my skin dry. It is just the right texture. I found this at Target.
Maybelline Dream Matte Powder in Light: This was my most used powder for 2013. I have hit major pan on it. This is an old picture. I can barely get the powder out now! You can get this at most drugstores. I use it to take away my shine and set my makeup.
For the beginning of the year I wore MAC Studio Careblend Pressed Powder in Medium Deep. I was matched at a MAC counter. I asked if they could help me find a good color to contour with. I think this is good, but I wanted to find something from the drugstore that would be an inexpensive alternative. I mentioned this as my favorite last year.
Maybelline Dream Sun Bronzing Powder in Matte Light: This was my drugstore alternative. I have been using it ever since I got, which I think was in the summertime. I think it was limited edition, which defeats the purpose of having a drugstore alternative. It doesn't help if no one can get it!
The Balm Mary-Lou Manizer: This is a beautiful golden highlight. I found it on Hautelook.com. When The Balm goes on Hautelook you can get their products for way less. I accidentally bought more than one, so I gave one to my mom and one to my friend. Everyone loves this.
Milani Baked Blush Luminoso: This was my favorite blush last year too! It is a beautiful peachy pink blush. I got mine from Fred Meyer's. It just looks really natural. It makes you look healthy and pretty. I'm in love with this blush!
NYX Rouge Cream Blush in Glow: This was one of my first products from NYX. Pursebuzz made a Youtube video of her favorite blushes, and she mentioned some cream blushes by NYX. I was convinced these would be good, so I ordered off of NYX's website. This is a beautiful bright pink blush. It may look a little too hot pink in the pan, but when put on the cheeks it gives a healthy, natural, rosy look.
Milani Brow Fix Brow Kit in Light: I had an unfortunate brow experience this year. I used to have nice brows, that I didn't feel like needed any makeup. I just brushed them into place. But I went to a salon and had a facial wax, they also did my eyebrows, even though I didn't ask for that. I should have told them not to wax my eyebrows. I don't know why I didn't speak up. My eyebrows were already groomed the way I liked them. They took off too much brow. Now my brows are growing back. In the mean time I use the middle shade with an angled brush to fill in my bald spots.
Eyeshadow Palettes: I had 9 last year. Let's make it an even 10 this year. I have some repeat favorites. This is in order from the most used favorite to the least used.
1. Wet 'n Wild Vanity: I have used this the most this year. I love all the shades. The left side is matte, the right side is shimmery. It's the perfect neutral palette. This was a favorite last year too.
2. Wet 'n Wild Lust: Again the left is matte, and the right is shimmery. This is a purple palette. It is perfect. It was my favorite last year too. I saw it for sale at Rite Aid! It came with an eyeliner or mascara. Even though it was discontinued they brought it back for the holidays!
3. Wet 'n Wild Comfort Zone: This is not limited edition. You can find it at most drugstores. It has browns on the left, and greens on the right. If you like everyday, wearable eyeshadows this is a really great palette to have. The shadows are very pigmented. Even though these are Wet 'n Wild Eye Shadows, they are very good quality. This was a favorite last year, too.
4. Wet 'n Wild Greed: This is matte on the left, and shimmery on the right. It has an interesting mix of peach, black, and gray colors. This was limited edition too. This was on my favorites last year. The matte black is one of my favorite eye shadows.
6. L'Oreal Hip Duo in Dynamic: This has a gold on the left that I use to dupe Urban Decay's Half Baked, and a dark olive color on the right. This was my favorite last year too.
7. Wet 'n Wild Brûlée: This is a favorite higlighting shade. It is a dupe of MAC's Brûlée. It is available at the drugstore.
8. The Balm Nude'tude Palette: It seems like all my favorite eyeshadow palettes are neutrals. I got this off of Hautelook.com. Again, I bought 3 by accident so I gave one to my mom and one to a friend. These are really great quality eye shadows.
9. The Balm Meet Matt(e) Nude: Wow! Another neutral palette! These are all matte eyeshadows. I got this from Hautelook.com again. My favorite shade is the bottom left one in the corner. It is a beautiful matte taupe. The upper right corner white is a really great highlight.
10. Urban Decay Ammo Shadow Box: I got this off of Hautelook.com too. Don't worry. I'm not being paid by Hautelook! I just find really good makeup deals from that website. Urban Decay makes the most beautiful shadows. My favorites are the upper left corner is Smog, that is in the Naked Palette. I like the one beside it Mildew is a beautiful green. In the upper right is Chopper which is a beautiful copper color. Below that is Sin which is in the Naked palette. It's a pretty pink champagne color. I'm also really attracted to that bright blue, Shattered. That is my favorite color.
Revlon Illuminance Cream Shadows in Not Just Nudes: This was a favorite last year too. The first color going from left to right is like MAC's Painterly Paint Pot, the second color is like MAC's Rubenesque, the third is a pretty warm brown with no shimmers, and the 4th one is a dark, sparkly brown. I'm going to have to repurchase this soon because I'm hitting major pan. You can find this at just about any drugstore. I love it. Some people don't like the Revlon Illuminance Cream Shadows because they say they crease, but I don't have a problem with them creasing if I use the Milani Eye Shadow Primer. These make for great bases under eyeshadows. They come in lots of colors, but of course my favorite and most used one is the neutral palette.
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Zero: I got this from my December 2012 IPSY Bag! It is a lot smaller now. It was the best quality, black liner that I owned, so I reached for it the most often. I heard that Urban Decay Perversion is even blacker than this liner. I haven't tried it, but it is black enough for me.
Gel Eye Liner
Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner in Blackest Black: Last year my favorite gel liner was the one in brown. I think this year I have gotten more into wearing black liner. I used to only wear brown because I thought it suited me better. But this year I've been copying looks, and a lot of people use black liner. I just went with it, and I think it looks good on me, too.
Jumbo Eye Liner
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk: Last year my favorite was the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Cottage Cheese. I wanted the Milk one, but it was all sold out on the website. Now NYX is sold at Fred Meyer's and when I saw the Milk Jumbo Eye Pencil, I snatched it up! This is a bright, white, shadow stick. I love it! It makes a great base. It makes eyeshadows you wear on top of it stand out. It also does really good in the waterline. I like this because it is matte.
Liquid Eye Liner
Jordana In Color Fabuliner Liquid Eye Liner in Black: This was my favorite last year too. I got it at Walgreens. It is really inexpensive. It feels like you are using a really good quality pen. I have trouble doing my liner, and this is the easiest one that I have used. Some people don't like it because they say it smudges. I haven't noticed that. In fact I mentioned it in one of my Summer tag's, where I say it the most sweat proof makeup I have!
Mascara for Top Lashes
Maybelline The Rocket Volum' Express Waterproof in Very Black: This was my all time favorite mascara for my top lashes this year. I heard Melmphs or Melissa Raymond mention this a lot in her videos on Youtube, so I was curious to try it. I loved it too. You can find this at most drugstores. I have been using Benefit mascaras, and I think they are comparable which is really amazing considering how inexpensive The Rocket is compared to Benefit. When I go to purchase a mascara, I think I will get The Rocket. I refuse to buy high end mascaras because I only use a mascara for three months. I heard that is when they expire. I don't want to waste my money on something expensive that I will throw away in three months. Drugstore mascaras can be just as good, in my opinion.
Mascara for Lower Lashes
Maybelline Lash Discovery Mini-Brush Waterproof in Very Black: This was my favorite last year, too. I feel like this is a drugstore secret treasure because I haven't heard anyone talk about it! It has a little brush that is perfect for getting the lower lashes. One day I was looking at my mom's makeup and I saw she had it too! I guess she loves this for her bottom lashes too. I think it's funny we were both using the same mascara. Another time I was watching my mom put on her makeup and she used this for her top lashes! I was like, "You can put that on your top lashes?!" I don't know why I never tried it. She uses it for both her bottom and top. I feel like I need a different mascara for volume, but this does a good job at separating the lashes. You could use a volumizing mascara, and then use this to separate the lashes.
Boots No.7 Line and Define Lip Liner in Nude: This was my favorite lip liner last year too. Whenever I need a nude lip liner, I reach for this one. It is very beautiful. I first heard about it from Lisa Eldridge on Youtube when she was doing an Audrey Hepburn makeup look. I thought the lip liner looked wonderful, and I hoped my Target would sell it. Sure enough, my Target did sell it and I was so happy. Lisa Eldridge is a really great makeup artist, and when she recommends something it is usually in England or it is expensive. I was really happy to find this. It also seems cool that Audrey Hepburn could have worn this or that it is similar to something Audrey Hepburn wore.
Lipstick: Last year I did 4 lipsticks, so I'm doing that again this year.
1. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Pink Pout: I heard that this was a dupe of MAC Please Me and MAC Angel Lipsticks. I also heard it was somewhere between MAC Angel and MAC Snob. This is a matte nude pink with slight mauve undertones.
2. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Cherries in the Snow: I heard this was a dupe for MAC's Moxie Lipstick. It is a blue based red. Some may say it is a pink. I think I heard somewhere that blue based reds make your teeth look whiter.
3. Rimmel Moisture Renew in Nude Delight: I heard this was a dupe for MAC Shy Girl and NYX Pumpkin Pie. It is a pinkish, peachy beige. It is a warm lipstick. This is a nude that looks good with my coloring.
4. Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in Born With It: I heard this was a dupe for MAC's Creme Cup. This is another softened pink-nude with soft champagne shimmer and a creamy finish. It is opaque. I don't know where I got these descriptions, but someone else said it was a soft pink beige.
It seems like I wore pinky nude lipsticks a lot this year. I guess I wore more dramatic looks on the eye and kept it simple on the lips. When I wanted to wear a dramatic lip, I wore Cherries in the Snow.
Lip Gloss: Last year I did 4 lip glosses, so I'm going to do 4 this year.
1. Revlon Colorburst Lip Gloss in Pink Ice: This doesn't show up very well on my hand. It is a lavender toned baby pink with silver shimmer.
2. Revlon Colorburst Lip Gloss in Peony: This was a favorite last year too. It is supposed to be a dupe for NAR's Orgasm Lip Gloss. I think that is why I bought it. One person described it as a sheer golden pink with gold/multi glitter. Another person said it was a pinky peach with gold sparkles. I'm sorry I can't tell you who said it, I didn't keep track of that. I found my descriptions from blogs. This is a beautiful color, and it feels really good on the lips. All these lip products I'm mentioning feel good on the lips.
3. Buxom Lip Gloss in Creamsicle: I heard this was a peach sorbet color. It is so beautiful. It smells like vanilla. I liked this Buxom gloss so much, I bought myself a collection of Buxom lip glosses from Ulta. I wonder if you will see them on my favorites for next year. You can get this at Sephora or Ulta. They are expensive lip glosses, but they are really great quality.
4. Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Gloss in Coral Reef: When a look calls for a coral lip gloss, I usually grab this lip gloss. It is said to be a dupe of MAC's Perennial High Style Lipglass.
I just noticed 3/4 of the lip glosses are all in the same color family. They are all coral colors. I think that was a popular color this year.
Maybelline Baby Lips in Quenched: I used a lot of different lip balms this year. I heard people talk a lot about Baby Lips on Youtube and in blogs, but I thought it was just a fad that I would skip. I think I heard someone say they weren't that great, so I wasn't impressed by them. I thought it was just a trend. Then one day, I don't know why, I decided to get one because I was curious. I just love it! I think it does moisturize the lips. I keep this at my makeup table, and put it on my lips when they are feeling dry and I am doing my makeup.
Urban Decay All Nighter Spray: I got this off of Hautelook.com. I normally don't use setting sprays because I forget to. Whenever I followed a look that ended in using setting spray, I always reached for this. It works really good. I have the little, travel size. Some people will put this on before foundation, and then after the whole look is done. There are all kinds of tricks people have for using it. You can spray it on your eyeshadow brush, and it will help the eyeshadow to be pigmented and last a long time.
I hope you found this helpful! I know I like to read the yearly favorite blogs and watch the yearly favorite Youtube videos. If you did this on your blog or Youtube channel, please leave a link in a comment below! Let me know if you liked something I liked. I love to get comments!